Start Date: August 2023
Burke's is an independent K-8 gender-inclusive all girls’ school located on a 3.5-acre campus in San Francisco. Burke’s is one of California’s leading elementary schools with more than a 112-year tradition of educational excellence. The school combines strong academic and co-curricular programs with an emphasis on project-based learning and personal growth in a diverse and inclusive community. We emphasize the development of fundamental and higher-level critical thinking skills in an atmosphere of creativity, exploration, academic rigor and joyful learning.
Burke’s seeks a full-time educator for Upper School grades (5-8) who can inspire a passion for mathematics by modeling best practices in teaching and implementing student-centered, inquiry-based lessons that develop skills and conceptual understanding. Emphasis is placed on real-world applications, problem-solving, and effectively communicating one’s understanding in a variety of ways.
In addition to teaching four sections, responsibilities include advising a group of students to support social-emotional learning and strong learning habits.
Teaching Upper School Math & Advisory
- Formally assessing and reporting on student progress three times per year using checklist/narrative report cards
- Providing extra-help sessions during and after the school day, as needed
- Planning and supervising field trips relevant to curriculum
- Preparing advisees for and supporting them in two student-led parent conferences per year
- Accompanying advisees on outdoor education trips, both day and overnight
- Effective communication with colleagues in support of a collegial and collaborative professional community
- Timely and supportive communication with students, parents, and caregivers to foster a strong partnership with families
- Participate in regular team meetings including advising team in addition to attending faculty meetings
- Contribute to curriculum development and revision
- Collaborate effectively with Upper School Math Specialist, especially with respect to differentiation
Supervisory duties as needed
Below are the personal and professional qualities that we believe are important for the success of the person in this role. Unless specifically noted as a prerequisite for the role, these qualifications and skills are preferred. We know many candidates bring a full complement of experience, skills, and ideas, even if they don’t check every box of a job description. If you meet many of our criteria, please don’t hesitate to apply. Every application gets serious consideration, including those with skill sets that we may not have included here. We welcome all applicants who will bring a unique perspective and personal characteristics to our amazing team.
- Bachelor’s Degree, or equivalent, preferably math or STEM-related
- Experience teaching inquiry-based mathematics, preferably at middle-school level
- Possessing a growth mindset and openness to feedback
Demonstrated confidence in:
- differentiation of instruction
- cultural competency
- project-based learning
- innovative use of technology in instruction
- Understanding by Design approach to curriculum design (preferred)
- equitable and anti-racist teaching practices
- integrating service learning into classroom projects
- modeling lifelong learning and professional growth by engaging with professional development opportunities
Understanding of, and appreciation for:
- the social-emotional development of adolescent girls
- providing opportunities for learning through play by inviting creativity, imagination, curiosity, and tinkering into the classroom
Burke’s offers competitive compensation based on a salary scale ranging from $62,000 - $140,000 based on years of prior experience and position requirements. Advanced degree stipends in addition to base compensation. Comprehensive benefits are provided, including retirement plan contribution.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Burke’s is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.Apply
Interested candidates may apply by sending a cover letter, resumé, and references to burkes.workable.com